Opium Poppies, Papaver Somniferum
The Somni-Forum   
Papaver Somniferum
The Continuing Adventures of the World's Most Controversial Flower...
Opium Poppy SeedsThe Poppies.org BookstorePoppies.org T-Shirts, Poppy Tea Mugs, Mousepads, and More!The Papaver Somni-ForumPoppy Growing Articles and NewsThe Opium Poppy FAQLive Chat with other Poppies.org UsersThe Opium Poppy Image GalleryBack to Main Page.

Subject: "How to potentiate effects of Hydrocodone?" Archived thread - Read only
  Page 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Printer-friendly copy     Email this topic to a friend    
Lobby Peer Support Chronic Pain Topic #115
Reading page 1 of 3 pages

Average White GuySenior Somniphile click here to view user rating
Charter Member
438 posts, 11 feedbacks, 20 points
06-05-01, 11:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Average White Guy Click to send private message to Average White Guy Click to view Average White Guy's profileClick to add Average White Guy to your buddy list  
"How to potentiate effects of Hydrocodone?"

Say I have one vicodin tablet: 5 mg hydrocodone with 500 mg APAP. How can I properly potentiate this to give the drug more absorbtion, analgesic effectiveness, and stronger effects as the painkiller it is. Can I extract out the APAP so as not to TAINT it with the tylenol, and then drink the solution (containing ~5mg Hydrocodone) with food? What solvents and methods will work well for the extraction?

I've read something about co-administering tagament, grapefruit juice, but I don't think they make much of a difference. I need something official...some solid information. Any help is appreciated.

I've also seen Vicodin ES: 2.5 more mg of Hydrocodone but they add a whopping 250 mg more of APAP....is this really medically necessary? No, and it really makes me angry. They obviously aren't too concerned with liver health (taking two vicodin ES tablets, that's 1.5 grams of APAP your liver has to unwantingly deal with). And why isn't Vicoprofen prescribed more often? I'd rather take 400 mg (=2 vicoprofen or 1 OTC dose of Ibuprofen) of ibuprofen than 1.5 grams of APAP. Then again, that's why I'm becoming a pharmaceutical chemist--to correct idiot mistakes like those (if I don't get bribed to keep my healthy new discoveries to myself by a hundred different money-thirsty pharmaceutical companies)!

Thanks for any solutions to the questions above,

-AWG

(The above is not to be taken at face value. It's a code based on a dream I had once. You have to rearrange the letters for the true message)

Printer-friendly page

Charter Member
06-05-01, 11:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Average White Guy Click to send private message to Average White Guy Click to view Average White Guy's profileClick to add Average White Guy to your buddy list  
1. "RE: How to potentiate effects of Hydrocodone?"

Would Lemon juice/Citric Acid help? And how does Lemon Juice/Citric Acid affect codeine and hydrocodone?

-AWG

The above is not to be taken at face value. It's a code based on a dream I had once. You have to rearrange the letters for the true message

Printer-friendly page

abc122000Senior Somniphile click here to view user rating
Charter Member
627 posts, 20 feedbacks, 40 points
06-06-01, 01:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail abc122000 Click to send private message to abc122000 Click to view abc122000's profileClick to add abc122000 to your buddy list Click to send abc122000 a message via AOL IM Click to send abc122000 a message via ICQ  
2. "RE: How to potentiate effects of Hydrocodone?"

Do a search on this site and you will
find many techniques for extracting
tylenol from t#3's and Lortabs/Vicodin.

You only have one 5mg tablet? Take it with
50mg of Benedryl and smoke a huge joint of
some killer bud and go for a walk in the
woods.I usually have to have 30mg plus of
hydro to have a good time.

too much apap? I used to take 10 - 7.5/500 tabs
per day for years.I am still typing and breathing
for now,,,,,, *knocks on wood*

ABC

Printer-friendly page

Dr_SteveSenior Somniphile click here to view user rating
Charter Member
712 posts, 35 feedbacks, 66 points
06-14-01, 05:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Dr_Steve Click to send private message to Dr_Steve Click to view Dr_Steve's profileClick to add Dr_Steve to your buddy list  
3. "RE: How to potentiate effects of Hydrocodone?"

You can try hydroxyzine (Brand Names (USA):Vistaril, Atarax), but it will only potentiate the sedative effects - not the analgesic effects. Basically Hydroxyzine is a strongly sedating anti-histamine. It is quite often used in the Emergency Department with Demerol (i.e. Demerol 50mg/Vistaril 50mg IM) for a health adult.

Also, Promethazine is also given with Demerol either by injection, or orally to potentiate it. There is a drug called Mepergan Fortis which is Meperidine/Promethazine although it is rarely prescribed in the United States due to the unpleasant side effects when patients take too many in order to try and catch a buzz. Another problem with Mepergan Fortis is that the half-life of promethazine is much longer than the half-life of meperidine, so you get accumulation of promethazine and excess sedation. I think it is a bad analgesic except for patients with pain from irritable bowel syndrome who only have to take one or two capsules to get relief.

Steve

Printer-friendly page

clarknova click here to view user rating
Charter Member
108 posts, 2 feedbacks, 4 points
06-14-01, 09:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail clarknova Click to send private message to clarknova Click to view clarknova's profileClick to add clarknova to your buddy list  
4. "RE: How to potentiate effects of Hydrocodone?"

My experience combining promethazine with opiates hasn't been very fruitful. Not just codeine with promethazine syrup but a few tea-spoons of promethazine cough syrup before an M or H shot, or with dilaudid or darvocet, orally. There was no noticeable (to me) change in the "experience". Oh yeah, this is aaaaaaaaaalllllllllll fictional.

Alcohol helps with the absorption rate of opiates, although lots of people would say not to combine the two. I'm not saying drink a case of beer when you take it, but maybe one or two beers or the hydrocodone dissolved in a small shot of bacardi/vodka. Be sure to perform the cold water extraction on the pills before drinking with it for the sake of your liver.

Well, I'm not a Doctor Steve or Bill or James and haven't collaborated on any preference votes for drugs or gums or abdominal workouts but I've been around junk for a while so....

PS: I may not have felt any rise in effects from the promethazine combos because I was cultivating a habit at the time of... the syrup was being used for a case of bronchitis developed.

Printer-friendly page

oxygen click here to view user rating
Charter Member
83 posts, 4 feedbacks, 7 points
06-15-01, 00:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail oxygen Click to send private message to oxygen Click to view oxygen's profileClick to add oxygen to your buddy list  
5. "RE: How to potentiate effects of Hydrocodone?"

I agree with Dr. Steve about the hydroxyzine. I take it all the time for nausea associated with migraines, but it is a prescription..and it sounds like your looking for an OTC remady.

They do have hydrocodone in 10/650 tablets 10mg hydro, 650 asap. They are also called lortab.

Caffiene, will help the stomach absorbtion. That is why it is in various meds. Tagament (Cimetidine) will also prob. help..here is al excerpt from a drug medical journal (Micromedex)about cimetidine & Hydrocodone.

A. CIMETIDINE
1. Severity: not specified
2. Onset: not specified
3. Documentation: poor
4. Literature Reports:

a. There is some evidence that enhanced respiratory and CNS depression may occur in the presence of combined therapy with cimetidine and narcotic analgesics (Fine & Churchill, 1981; Lam & Parkin, 1981; Guay et al, 1984). However, more studies are required to fully evaluate this interaction.

I also found this: tramadol (ultram) will intereact, probably favorably in this case, to potentiate the hydrocodone.

D. TRAMADOL
1. Summary: Caution should be used when tramadol, an opioid-type analgesic, is coadministered with other central nervous system (CNS) depressants, such as hydrocodone (Prod Info Ultram(R), 1998). It is important to follow closely patients receiving this combination of medications.
2. Adverse Effect: CNS depression (sedation, lethargy, speech difficulties)
3. Clinical Management: Use caution if tramadol is to be used concomitantly in patients receiving hydrocodone therapy. Monitor patients for signs of CNS depression (sedation, lethargy, speech
difficulties) and adjust doses accordingly. The manufacturer recommends that reduced dosages of tramadol be used when it is coadministered with other CNS depressants.
4. Severity: moderate
5. Onset: rapid
6. Documentation: poor
*7. Probable Mechanism: additive effects

Oxygen

Printer-friendly page

poppynewbe click here to view user rating
Somni-Forum Moderator
868 posts, 16 feedbacks, 32 points
06-16-01, 02:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail poppynewbe Click to send private message to poppynewbe Click to view poppynewbe's profileClick to add poppynewbe to your buddy list Click to send poppynewbe a message via AOL IM  
6. "RE: How to potentiate effects of Hydrocodone?"

The ones I get are 10/500 Lortab...That is the most hydro/least apap that you can get...The only step up from that is demerol and fentyl patches.....And those are so close to impossible to get that its not even worth the effort...Ive been taking approx. 8 Lortab 10/500's per day for over a year and Im all fucked up..My kidneys and liver are shot, but they wont give me the patch or demerol anymore

All statements and or advice is fictional and the sole responsibility of the author Poppynewbe.
Long live the somni-forum!!

Printer-friendly page

Dr_SteveSenior Somniphile click here to view user rating
Charter Member
712 posts, 35 feedbacks, 66 points
06-16-01, 09:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Dr_Steve Click to send private message to Dr_Steve Click to view Dr_Steve's profileClick to add Dr_Steve to your buddy list  
7. "RE: How to potentiate effects of Hydrocodone?"

Actually you can get Norco (10mg Hydrocodone/325mg APAP), or Maxidone (new) that is 10/400.

Steve

Printer-friendly page

poppynewbe click here to view user rating
Somni-Forum Moderator
868 posts, 16 feedbacks, 32 points
06-17-01, 01:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail poppynewbe Click to send private message to poppynewbe Click to view poppynewbe's profileClick to add poppynewbe to your buddy list Click to send poppynewbe a message via AOL IM  
8. "RE: How to potentiate effects of Hydrocodone?"

Wow, thanks for the info man..I gotta ask about this "Norco"..
Again, my liver thanks you!

All statements and or advice is fictional and the sole responsibility of the author Poppynewbe.
Long live the somni-forum!!

Printer-friendly page

abc122000Senior Somniphile click here to view user rating
Charter Member
627 posts, 20 feedbacks, 40 points
06-17-01, 11:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail abc122000 Click to send private message to abc122000 Click to view abc122000's profileClick to add abc122000 to your buddy list Click to send abc122000 a message via AOL IM Click to send abc122000 a message via ICQ  
9. "RE: How to potentiate effects of Hydrocodone?"

Oh yeh, Norco is nice, nice and small, easy to swallow.

Don't forget Azdone, Zydone, Hydrocet ........

Printer-friendly page

Charter Member
06-19-01, 01:19 AM (EST)
10. "RE: How to potentiate effects of Hydrocodone?"

Wow, Steve. My right shoulder hurts and the NSAID's don't work much...but if I had some of this Norco I'd take two and be off taking pictures at the metro parks all day singing with the birds! The last time I got a hold of hydrocodone at all was in December, and, unfortunately not from bursitus medication I wish I could get, but from a friend who had some...I took 28 mg over 6 hours on the way to and at a George Carlin concert in Cleveland. I was comfortable and it was the funnest night I've had in about 8 years. Now I'm pretty well versed in narcotics safety, so first, I'd extract the APAP and be extremely wary of dosages.

I just can't believe the vast preference of NSAID's over narcotics for pain management. I can't play baseball for more than 3 minutes without having a strong pain in my right shoulder (diagnosed as bursitus). Had the thing since winter of last year. Maybe someday the DEA will lighten up and let everyone know about dosages and dealing with narcotic meds safely, and that a general dose of ____mg may stop your breathing, and that tolerance may build up (with the same dosage very probably killing you). People don't drink draino because they know it kills you. I'm sure they would be wise enough to take heed of these hypothetical labels.

Good luck to the future of pain management.

-AWG

Printer-friendly page

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | Lobby | Forums | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Copyright © 2000-2002 Poppies.org -- Forum Terms of Use

seeds books gear forums library FAQ chat gallery main

Syndicate The Papaver-Somni-Forum with XML